Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Great Gatsby Chapter 5

This chapter is not nearly as despicable to me as the previous few chapters. I find that Nick is a more reliable narrator in this chapter too. He gives you accurate information and doesn’t censor it or change it to fit his personal opinion. Nevertheless I don’t like Nick being the narrator. I think that either the story needs to be told in third person or with a different narrator. Even though, I find Nick a reliable narrator this chapter, my overall opinion is that he is still unreliable. I still cannot understand why this great and might Gatsby is interested in this low and lonely person that he met almost five years ago. Sadly, many of the students that will read this don’t understand the social classes and are probably asking why these two, Gatsby and Daisy, don’t hook up? They are either saying screw Tom, he had the affair first, or they are saying, what is the point of having these social classes, if it just causes heartbreak and heartache between people. I am curious if Daisy is one of those people who rebel from the old ways of how to dress. I think that from the way Gatsby was not too terribly shocked from seeing her, that she is one of those people who stay with the dress of ankle length dresses. Although, I wonder, would Gatsby have behaved differently if Daisy would have shown up in a knee length dress? I think that he would have been blown away, considering if she was wearing an ankle length dress, and Gatsby was so thrilled to see her as well as embarrassed.

No comments:

Post a Comment