Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Great Gatsby Chapter 3

I don’t really like this chapter. It seems like the only reason Nick is invited, would be because Gatsby feels sorry for him. It could also have something to do with Gatsby living next to alone in his huge house with only himself beside the servants. Gatsby probably thought that Nick needed to have some company, but could only think of making him social through a party. I can only imagine the worst, for he is socially awkward around people he doesn’t know or people richer than him. He also just went to the party in white slacks and what his nicest shirt? I think that it was neat that he technically has a date, Jordan Baker. I especially don’t like the way that the whole first part of the chapter is talking about the party before he finally remembers to mention that he was invited and supposed to be at the party. At this point, I don’t think that Nick is a very reliable narrator. I was really trying hard to not judge him as a reliable or unreliable narrator, so that I could decide later after reading more of the book. This chapter also talks about quite a bit of different things. For example, it talks about Jordan and Nick losing track of each other after Gatsby’s big party until summer. I mean seriously, what does this have to do with Gatsby’s huge party? Nothing! Absolutely nothing! This chapter is like a rough draft in our class for an argumentative essay where it wonders around and around. I don’t really like how this book wanders around. I mean, yeah, I can keep track of it as well as the at least 5 other books I am in, but still, it is very annoying to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment