Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Awakening Response

I thought that this book was dull and boring. I was surprised that there are none significant deaths; on that aspect, I enjoyed this book better than most of other books I have read or probably will read in this class. I didn't like the two or three chapters that were not even a page long and I did not understand the point of them. I really liked the beginning part of the book where they are all at Grand Isle. I would love to go there. I hated Robert at the end of the book for pushing Edna away after she figures out that she loves him. I believe that Edna swims out at Grand Isle because Robert pushed her away after he comes back from Mexico. It also had something to do with the note that he left. He finally admits that he does love her and that was why he was Edna’s buddy throughout the summer until he left. I think that her realization has caused her much pain and that was why she skirting her obligations as a mother and housewife. It is probably also why she liked to be alone or with other young people better than her family. I don’t quite understand her sudden infatuation with art. She wants to go to a class and learn. I am almost positive that it was not acceptable for women in that society to act in the way that she did. I don’t really enjoy the way the book ends as a cliffhanger.

No comments:

Post a Comment