Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Second Part of Chapter 10

I find it very enjoyable that the slaves receive six days of freedom but the way the slaveholders trick them into doing their work happily is so treacherous. I do not like Mr. Hopkins. He is way to unpleasant in the treatment of the slaves. Although, the way Frederick is going off on what a slave did to deserve a whipping I think that he might be talking about all slaveholders. His ability to read is helping him to become more appreciated because the other slaves can learn something from him, so he becomes better acquainted with them. That is neat to me that they wanted to learn because maybe that is why the US is constantly being passed up by other countries. The students here do not want to learn, they mainly, in my opinion, just come for a neat certain class or to socialize with their friends. These slaves wanted to learn because they almost all had starved minds, like your stomach after school when you had no breakfast and no lunch. That would take quite a bit of will power to overcome and face the fears of what would happen to them. It was smart of Frederick to make a copy of a master's note giving the slave permission to go, nobody would ever suspect because their minds are starved. It is really sad that the slaves planning to escape were caught but at least Douglass was sent back to his master and mistress in Baltimore. I think that the ending is by far the best part of this chapter becuase he doesn't have to give his master the money he earns but he does in the hope of Master Hugh setting him free.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with the idea that American students take their knowledge for granted and I liked the referance to today. I thought it could have been better if you added another topic because it would be nice to see more of this writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenna, you do such an amazing job at refelcting upon what you have read. I enjoy reading your blog because while I read it, I can totally hear your voice in my mind saying these things. You're a really amazing writer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really liked your writing. it made me really think back to the reading and understand it alot better. you did a nice job giving details but maybe a little more of your opipion towards the middle would of made it better

    ReplyDelete
  4. i llike how u tied in how students are with school during this generation and how slaves were risking their lives just to learn how to read and right good conection

    ReplyDelete