Monday, October 11, 2010

Chapters 8, 9 and to page 40 of Chapter 10

I think that it is terrible about what happened to the grandma. She serviced the master throughout her youth and her old age, also giving to him children and then grandchildren. I cannot believe that he would do that to her. She took care of him and he did not release her after all she did. Then even his successors just abandoned her to a cabin in the woods to die. It is sad that he thinks he will miss all the lessons from the little Baltimore boys instead of his master and mistress. I also figured out as to why I was confused about how he was able to tell all these stories about different places when he only had two masters. He did only have two masters but his two masters sent him to live at other places under other white men and women. I would think that the transition from being well fed to being well starved was very hard but if he worked in the kitchen why couldn't he just steal some food? He might have been too scared to anyhow, just a thought. When the one white man was meeting with the slaves to teach them to read the New Testament, I am curious if Douglass impressed anybody by proving that he could read. It is actually a great blessing for Douglass to go to Mr. Covey's farm. It will be nice for Captain Auld to have him go away and be broken. Mr. Covey likes it because then he has someone to take out his anger on, sadly, and a free labor hand that he is getting paid to punish. So, it is all around a winning situation. For the first part that we had to read, there is some interesting stories. Although, why is it longer than a few pages unlike the other chapters? When Douglass is talking about his first whipping, one of my first thought is that he will eventually be broken. I am again curious as to why he practices deception and why is that his forte? Then again, that would explain why he likes to sneak up on the workers and why he spies on them. I am sorry that Caroline was put through the sufferings of having many unwanted children and being raped as well. I find it terrible that he is broken. At the end of the next page, page 38, I am glad that he can still think and after how exhausted he is I find it amazing that he could think clearly. I cannot believe that there is a root that will help you to not get whipped as long as you have it. It is really neat. I think that his belief in the root probably allowed him fight back and gave him some courage to do so. Hey, it worked though so he was never whipped again or never had Mr. Covey lay a single finger on him for the remaining six months.

3 comments:

  1. Brenna,
    I agree with your reactions to the chapters. I like how you included how you might react to the situations that Douglass was in. Your writing is always awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you color coded the chapters. I do agree on what you said about Douglas.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenna,
    I really enjoyed the fact that many times you answered your own questions regarding the text. I can really tell that you not only read this piece, but you really tried to analyze certain occurrences in the piece, as well as trying to find hidden depth.
    Ms. Ladtkow

    ReplyDelete